Thursday, November 15, 2007

Shoulda, Coulda, Woulda

Sometimes I am genuinely surprised by restuarants. Other times, well, I'm disappointed. In the interest of trying something new I forgo the old favorite (see below post for my feelings on old favs) and go for something interesting. I like to tell myself it's in the best interest in the blog.

Jennifer and I met for drinks and free apps at Il Fornaio last night. I've always thought it was a lovely restaurant (even if it's a chain!) with wonderful service and delicious food. And they play Italian music, always a good thing. Il Fornaio labeled wines are only $5.95 a glass and very good. The bartenders are promt and courteous and not overly attentive. But Jennifer and I were hungry, and we didn't feel like spending Il Fornaio prices. So after a brainstorming effort and another glass of wine, we decided to go to Sacramento Brewing Company in Dowtown Plaza.

I'd been there with my parents before and remember enjoying the food, so I figured it was worth a try when I was paying my own way. Jennifer and I were shocked, frankly, at the prices of the meals. Usually at brewery type restaurants there are plenty of choices in the under $10 to $15 range. We found that most of the prices were above this. It's like a brewery in disgiuse as a fancy restaurant--or perhaps the reverse. We sat in the bar and our service was, well, weird. I actually got a strange look when I ordered my salad. I'm not sure what the problem was, it was a mixed green salad with blue cheese and I got flank steak added to it. When it arrived it was good, not fabulous, but good. Jennifer had a chicken breast stacked on spinach and mashed potatoes and floating in a pesto cream sauce. Yes, this was at a brewery. She gave it a "OK".

We did notice that one of the specials looked remarkably like one of the menu items. Their menu was ok, but it just wasn't what we were looking for. Going from our fabulous bartender at Il Fornaio to our so-so bartender at Sacramento Brewing Company was a disappointment. I'm sure he's a fine bartender--but perhaps not the best in the food department. And we could have easily spent the same amount at Il Fornaio. Our lesson of the night was, if you like where you're at, then you should probably just stay there. (Although I did get some early shopping done!)

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

That special she speaks of was $3 or $4 more than the nearly identical menu item. I think the only difference is one had "English peas." Boo!

Katie said...

I concur.

And I'm disappointed that I missed the Thanksgiving poll. I definitely would have voted for stuffing...twice.