Sunday, January 27, 2008

The Pho One One

If you've been awake in the last few days, you know it's been dreary, rainy and cold. So, what's the best remedy for the chills? I'd say a hot, humongous bowl of pho from Tamarind will cure what ails you.

The little restaurant on J Street offers eleven different kinds of pho, Vietnamese noodle soup. The bathtub-sized serving that I ordered consisted of shrimp, chicken, rice noodles and a rich, savory beef broth. Other pho choices have beef, other meat combinations and a vegetarian option. The broth was so incredibly flavorful that it was simply lovely to just sip and savor each spoonful. Plus, before the soups came to the table, the server delivered a heaping plate of basil, lime, bean sprouts and jalepenos so we could garnish our own bowls. Also on the table was a selection of other condiments - plum, chili and bean sauces, etc. so every time you order, your soup has unlimited possibilies.

I should've saved half the bowl for the next day's lunch but it was too good to stop eating. More good news, my meal was $7.

In addition to the pho, Tamarind offers a selection of egg noodle soups, vermicelli and meat dishes. I think most menu items are under $10. Tamarind, at 2502 J St., is open 11 a.m.-10 p.m. daily.

2 comments:

Carmen said...

Yum, I love this place! I got take-out one night, they told me it'd be 15 minutes and it was about 3, and so delicious when I got it home! I also should have eaten it in two meals, but couldn't resist the broth. This place makes me very happy.

Carmen said...

RIP, Tamarind!!