Monday, January 7, 2008

Tuli Bistro

Ok, I really was trying to think of something cute to go with Tuli, but it just wasn't happening.

I've been to Tuli twice now, once for dinner and once for lunch. There's something that is really understated but lovely about this restaraunt. It's vey small, with only a few 2 tops and bar area available inside, and several tables available outside. In our world now where everything needs to be super sized and larger is always better, I actually think this is a benefit for Tuli. You're in a friendly, neighborhood place. It's kind of like eating at one of your friends' houses, only with perhaps a better wine list and a menu with more options. One of the chefs remembered me the second time I was there, and it was several weeks later. That's fantastic.

My first night there, I had a fantastic risotto with bacon and bleu cheese. It was tasty and delicious, and perfect for a cold winter night. Jen had their Humboldt pizza with pesto and oven roasted tomatoes. Equally delicious, the pizza crust and the toppings fun and interesting. The second time I was there, I saw them roasting the tomatoes. They go right into the same oven as the pizzas, and while this sounds rather uninteresting or special, it was proof that this restaurant does not cut corners on anything. You can also see them cooking everything--so you know exactly what goes into your food and how it's prepared.

My second trip, for lunch, I had a cup of their soup of the day and the albacore tuna melt. Everything was fabulous and tasty. But while the food is great, and the I don't think you can find a better value anywhere in Midtown (if you're into value), I think the true beauty of Tuli lies in its ambience. Everytime I go in, even my first time, I feel like I'm entering a long-lost friend's kitchen. They are very open and friendly, the food is incredible, and the wine list is interesting. I really can't think of a negative about Tuli, except maybe that I can't go there every day.

You can find Tuli on the corner of 21st and S, and their website (with menus!) at www.tulibistro.com.

Cheers!

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

I'm not a tomato person. Those were some unbelievable tomatoes.