Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Cinco de Mayo on Folsom Blvd.

This won't be my longest post or my best post, but I just wanted to make mention of my Cinco de Mayo at El Patron. After a fun party on Tres de Mayo which included multiple tequila shots, a pinata and some painful dancing, I didn't think I'd be going out on Monday night. Sheri and I mutally twisted each others' arms to go out for one drink and some chips and salsa.

We both are former midtowners with homes in Tahoe Park so we decided to stay close to the neighborhood and go to El Patron on Folsom Blvd. The place was packed for the holiday. I literally parked three or four blocks away. They had a special on double margaritas for $9 - and you get to keep the shaker. We each had once of those, which were pretty darn good. The bar also has a impressive selection of tequilas from the plain old Jose Cuervo to some $100 a shot bottles that are on shelves high above the TVs. One we sampled, Clase Azul, tasted like melted caramel -- delicious ($25 a shot). So much for one-drink-and-go-home.

The real attraction was our bartender, Anita, who really made the night fun. She had personality to spare and was great at suggesting things to try. We'll be back, just to hang out with her again.

Our evening at El Patron was a contrast to the big midtown party at Centro's, which I hear had $10 cover and a $20 bar minimum on the back patio. Here, the crowd was friendly, the sun drenched patio was inviting and the drinks were reasonable. Plus, it's always good to try someplace new!

El Patron is located at 6601 Folsom Blvd.

No comments: