Friday, May 23, 2008

A Second Opinion

I'll admit I wasn't wild about GV Hurley's the first time I went. (http://sachappyhour.blogspot.com/2008/04/gv-hurleys.html) The waiter asked if I wanted a lime twist in my gin and tonic which threw me off from the start. I've been back twice since -- once for drinks and once for dinner -- and my opinion is starting to evolve.

I met friends for a drink on a very busy Second Saturday. Fortunately, there was room at the bar so I had a comfy vantage point from which to enjoy the place. One thing I noticed (granted we sat out front the first time) is that I love the layout. The large circular bar provides the perfect centerpiece to what's happening all around you. It's perfect for a quiet conversation or for a larger group just to hang out and drink. The crowd seemed to be a lot more balanced than on those earlier visits and it wasn't uncommon for barflies to strike up conversations with nearby diners (and vice versa).

On my third trip back I came for dinner. Our server was really attentive and helpful, especially since we were the slowest orderers ever. I hadn't seen my friends in a while and we spent a lot of time talking and not much time looking at the menu. We settled on the calamari and salmon chips for appetizers. The calamari was some of the tenderest I'd ever tasted -- very impressive. The salmon chips were just OK. The dish is basically fish and chips with salmon instead of cod. It's batter is lighter than the traditional dish, which made the aioli that was served with it seem too heavy. The entrees were meatloaf, shrimp & pasta, tri-tip and a chopped salad and everyone seemed pleased. I had already had quite a bit of Pinot Grigio so I didn't take proper mental notes on the meals.

Anyway, it was a major improvement for me. The bar is fun, the crowd is lively and the back patio is pretty cool.

I'll forgive the lime twist.

No comments: