Monday, October 20, 2008

Pizza Pizza!

It's no secret that I love pizza! I love it! I could eat probably it every day. It's been that way since I was little. I was the pizza kid and my sister liked fried chicken. We've always been different that way.

I've also found that people are passionate about their pizza. You've got your New York style, your deep dish, your fancy schmancy gourmet, your take and bake. I could go on and on. And although I'm partial to New Haven style, I will eat pretty much all of them.

Last week, Nancy and I sat down at Masullo Pizza on Riverside Drive. There's not much signage - or light at night - so it can be hard to see from the street. The restaurant is an open space with tables for two and larger family-style tables. We each ordered a small salad and split a pizza. Mine was a mixed green salad with prosciutto, tossed with a balsamic vinaigrette and served with two generous wedges of flat bread. Our pizza (the name escapes me and it's not on their online menu) was toped with tomato, spinach, green olives, red onion, feta and capers. This pizza is in the Neapolitan style, which has a thin crust prepared by hand (not with a rolling pin). I'd say it was crispy and tender at the same time.

The toppings were excellent, with the right balance between the salty ingredients and the sweetness of the tomatoes. The toppings compliment the crust, rather than the crust serving as merely a vessel for them. If you prefer a pizza that's piled high with toppings, this might not be the pie for you. However, I really enjoyed it and even had a slice leftover for lunch the next day!

There were lots of yummy sounding options to choose from in both vegetarian and meaty options. Their menu changes seasonally based on available ingredients so I'll definitely go back to try another variety.

As for value, our salads were about $6 each and the pizza was $12. Not a bad price for a dinner for two! The restaurant isn't open for lunch.

No comments: