Friday, January 30, 2009

Not So Dreamy

I'd never been to Dream Ultra Lounge. I'm not an "ultra lounge" kind of gal, but when I heard Tokyo Fro's was taking up residence inside - AND that they had happy hour till 8:00 - I gave it a try.

There are two things I noticed right away. The decor is cold, despite the warm fireplace in the front window. And the waitresses wear very tiny clothes. Our poor server was in a skin tight mini-halter dress (in January!) and sky high heels. Watching her try to walk and balance food made me really nervous. So did watching her bend down to clear the tables. Talk about the risk of a wardrobe malfunction!

True to their advertising, their happy hour goes till 8:00 (which is a major plus). Bottles of beer are $3, well drinks are half off and almost all the sushi rolls are half price. I ordered a $3 Blue Moon and my friends and I perused the roll menu. Despite there being at least 15 options, they all kind of sounded the same. Tempura shrimp and/or crab seemed to be in every roll. We chose five to share but were really unimpressed. They all tasted the same. The crab didn't have any flavor and the actual pieces of raw fish were unsubstantial. It was very disappointing!

Another problem - the bathroom. There are three stalls. Two of the toilets were clogged and the third didn't have a seat!

In the end the bill was $52 for five people, five beers and five rolls. It's hard to complain about the price, but the food wasn't even worth the discounts. Carmen, who wasn't there with us, said the happy hour at Tokyo Fro's on Fair Oaks Blvd. has always been good. Maybe this sushi bar is still settling into its new home, but for now if I'll stick to the original location!

No comments: