Friday, January 9, 2009

Southern Comfort

I feel I need to make a full disclosure before you read this post. I have gone mostly veg. As in vegetarian. OK, technically pescetarian (I hope I spelled that right) but I am trying (very hard) to cut out poultry and red meat from my diet. I don't think it will ever be completely out of my diet, but I am making every effort to keep it mostly out of my diet. My reasons are many, but this is mostly in an attempt to be healthier, both for my body and the planet. I'll keep you posted.

The immediate problem is that it alters my view of the following review. Pescetarianism is not something to take up a week or so before going to Sandra Dee's for dinner. Since it's a southern BBQ restaurant, I think the problems are obvious.

Anyway, we went for a friend's birthday the other night. First impressions: cute place. Nice service. OK beer selection but crappy wine selection (at least they had Stella and Sierra on tap). Do not come here if you are on a diet!

Lucky for me, southerners like fish. I had the fried catfish and it was delicious! The fish was so moist, not like some other fried fish can get. And not greasy at all! It was a little salty (although perfectly spicy) but this could be because I asked for it extra spicy and so had a lot of seasoning on it, and I'm just not used to that. I was really excited for the collard greens, but disappointed that they had smoked turkey in them. I went for it anyway (and decided to pick the turkey out) but they were still mushy and overly salty. This could be a preference thing--I love greens, but I like them lightly braised with balsamic (proving my Italian heritage, I suppose). These tasted over-done. The mac and cheese was delicious and could have been a meal all to itself. Creamy, cheesy, goopy, wonderfulness. I could eat this every day of my life (and probably die very early, clearly not diet food!). My friend insisted I try the tri-tip, which was perfectly cooked and tender, although drenched in BBQ sauce (not my thing). I heard the rib-tips were fantastic, as were the ribs, turkey burger, and baked beans. Another veg had the Caesar salad (which really was the saddest Caesar I've ever seen), it got a big thumbs down, but the yams got a thumbs up. The frog legs were even tested (tastes like chicken, apparently) and the peach cobbler (yummy).

The best thing to keep in mind when coming here is that it is Southern Food. For those of us growing up with some variation of California food, there is a lot of seasoning and sauce. They probably don't know the term "vegetarian" not to mention "pescetarian". I know that Southern Food is not my preference. However, the next time I have a hangover and am in need of some stick-to-your-ribs goodies, I know to head to Sandra Dee's and get some fried catfish and mac & cheese.

Sandra Dee's is on the corner of 15th and F, and it's remarkably easy to find parking. You have to try it, just once.

No comments: